Copyright 1996-2004 Hans Reiser.
NAMEdebugreiserfs - The debugging tool for the ReiserFS filesystem.
SYNOPSISdebugreiserfs [ -dDJmoqpuSV ] [ -j device ] [ -B file ] [ -1 N ]
DESCRIPTIONdebugreiserfs sometimes helps to solve problems with reiserfs filesystems. When run without options it prints the super block of the ReiserFS filesystem found on the device.
- is the special file corresponding to the device (e.g /dev/hdXX for an IDE disk partition or /dev/sdXX for a SCSI disk partition).
- -j device
- prints the contents of the journal. The option -p allows it to pack the journal with other metadata into the archive.
- prints the journal header.
- prints the formatted nodes of the internal tree of the filesystem.
- prints the formatted nodes of all used blocks of the filesystem.
- prints the contents of the bitmap (slightly useful).
- prints the objectid map (slightly useful).
- -B file
- takes the list of bad blocks stored in the internal ReiserFS tree and translates it into an ascii list written to the specified file.
- -1 blocknumber
- prints the specified block of the filesystem.
- -p extracts the filesystem's metadata with debugreiserfs -p /dev/xxx | gzip -c > xxx.gz. None of your data are packed unless a filesystem corruption presents when the whole block having this corruption is packed. You send us the output, and we use it to create a filesystem with the same strucure as yours using debugreiserfs -u. When the data file is not too large, this usually allows us to quickly reproduce and debug the problem.
- builds the ReiserFS filesystem image with gunzip -c xxx.gz | debugreiserfs -u /dev/image of the previously packed metadata with debugreiserfs -p. The result image is not the same as the original filesystem, because mostly only metadata were packed with debugreiserfs -p, but the filesystem structure is completely recreated.
- When -S is not specified -p deals with blocks marked used in the filesystem bitmap only. With this option set debugreiserfs will work with the entire device.
- When -p is in use, suppress showing the speed of progress.