NAMEtwang - pluck pieces of the screen
SYNOPSIStwang [-display host:display.screen] [-foreground color] [-background color] [-window] [-root] [-mono] [-install] [-visual visual] [-shm] [-no-shm] [-delay usecs] [-duration secs] [-border-color color] [-border-width integer] [-event-chance fraction] [-friction fraction] [-springiness fraction] [-tile-size integer] [-transference fraction] [-fps]
DESCRIPTIONTwang divides the screen into equal-sized tiles, and then plucks them in various ways. Tiles are affected by their neighbors, so waves of motion flow through the grid. This manpage describes v1.3 of the program.
OPTIONStwang accepts the following options:
- Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default.
- Draw on the root window.
- If on a color display, pretend we're on a monochrome display.
- Install a private colormap for the window.
- -visual visual
- Which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a visual class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual.
- Use the shared memory extension (or not, respectively), if available. This may speed things up a bit, but probably won't make that much difference. If available, defaults to true, resource useSHM.
- -delay microseconds
- The interframe delay, in microseconds. Defaults to 10000, resource delay.
- -duration seconds
- How long to run before loading a new image. Default 120 seconds.
- -border-color color
- Color of the border surrounding each tile. Defaults to blue, resource borderColor.
- -border-width integer
- Width of the border surrounding each tile. Defaults to 3, resource borderWidth.
- -event-chance fraction
- The chance, per iteration, for an event to occur (such as tweaking the orientation of a tile), in the range 0..1. Defaults to 0.01, resource eventChance.
- -friction fraction
- How much friction there is in the system, in the range 0..1. This is the amount by which velocities are damped per iteration. Defaults to 0.05, resource friction.
- -springiness fraction
- How springy the tiles are, in the range 0..1. This is the fraction of an orientation that gets turned into a velocity towards the center (resting point). Defaults to 0.1, resource springiness.
- -tile-size integer
- Size (width and height) of each tile, not including the outer edge of the border. Defaults to 120, resource tileSize.
- -transference fraction
- How much a tile's neighbors affect it, in the range 0..1. This is the fraction of an orientation of a neighbor that gets turned into a velocity in the same direction Defaults to 0.025, resource transference.
- Display the current frame rate and CPU load.
- to get the default host and display number.
- to get the name of a resource file that overrides the global resources stored in the RESOURCE_MANAGER property.
X RESOURCESThere are resource equivalents for each option, noted above.
BUGStwang should have more interesting events.
- Ways of speeding it up need to be investigated. It's kinda sluggish,
- especially on hugeass displays.
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2002 by Dan Bornstein. All rights reserved.
Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in supporting documentation. No representations are made about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.