Copyright (c) 2010 Pyun YongHyeon All rights reserved. Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or oth...
NAMEvte - Vortex86 RDC R6040 Fast Ethernet driver
SYNOPSISTo compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file:
device miibus device vte
Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf5:
DESCRIPTIONThe device driver provides support for RDC R6040 Fast Ethernet controller which is commonly found on Vortex86 System On a Chip (SoC).
The RDC R6040 has integrated 10/100 PHY for 10/100Mbps support in full or half-duplex. The controller supports interrupt moderation mechanism, a 64-bit multicast hash filter, VLAN over-size frame and four station addresses. The device driver uses three station addresses out of four as perfect multicast filter.
The driver supports the following media types:
- Enable autoselection of the media type and options. The user can manually override the autoselected mode by adding media options to rc.conf5.
- Set 10Mbps operation.
- Set 100Mbps (Fast Ethernet) operation.
The driver supports the following media options:
- Force full duplex operation.
- Force half duplex operation.
For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8).
HARDWAREThe device driver provides support for the following Ethernet controllers:
- DM&P Vortex86 RDC R6040 Fast Ethernet controller
LOADER TUNABLESTunables can be set at the loader(8) prompt before booting the kernel or stored in loader.conf5.
- The RDC R6040 controller has no auto-padding support for short frames and the controller's DMA engine does not have capability to handle multiple buffers for a TX frame such that driver has to create a single contiguous TX buffer. This hardware limitation leads to poor TX performance since most of CPU cycles are wasted on both de-fragmenting mbuf chains and padding. This tunable enables deep copy operation for TX frames such that driver will spend less CPU cycles in de-fragmentation with the cost of extra TX buffer memory. The default value is 1 to use deep copy.
SYSCTL VARIABLESThe following variables are available as both sysctl(8) variables and loader(8) tunables:
- Maximum number of packets to fire RX completion interrupt. The accepted range is 0 to 15, the default is 15.
- Maximum number of packets to fire TX completion interrupt. The accepted range is 0 to 15, the default is 15.
- Show hardware MAC statistics maintained in driver.
SEE ALSOaltq(4), arp(4), miibus(4), netintro(4), ng_ether4, vlan(4), ifconfig(8)
- "DM&P Electronics Inc. Vortex86"