Copyright (c) 2013-2015, Intel Corporation All rights reserved. Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the document...
NAMEixl - Intel XL710 Ethernet 40Gb Base driver
SYNOPSISTo compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file:
To load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following lines in loader.conf5:
DESCRIPTIONThe sysctl Cm net.inet.tcp.syncookies driver provides support for PCI Express adapters or LOMs in the XL710 Family of ethernet devices. The driver supports Jumbo Frames, TX/RX checksum offload, TCP segmentation offload (TSO), Large Receive Offload (LRO), VLAN tag insertion/extraction, VLAN checksum offload, VLAN TSO, and Receive Side Steering (RSS), all for both IPv4 and IPv6. For further hardware information and questions related to hardware requirements, see support.intel.com
Support for Jumbo Frames is provided via the interface MTU setting. Selecting an MTU larger than 1500 bytes with the ifconfig(8) utility configures the adapter to receive and transmit Jumbo Frames. The maximum MTU size for Jumbo Frames is 9706.
Offloads are also controlled via the interface, for instance, checksumming for both IPv4 and IPv6 can be set and unset, TSO4 and/or TSO6, and finally LRO can be set and unset.
For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8).
HARDWAREThe sysctl Cm net.inet.tcp.syncookies driver supports these SFP+ Pluggable Optics:
- Intel TRIPLE RATE 1G/10G/40G QSFP+ SR (bailed) E40GQSFPSR
- Intel TRIPLE RATE 1G/10G/40G QSFP+ SR (bailed) E40GQSFPLR
The sysctl Cm net.inet.tcp.syncookies driver supports 10Gb and 1Gb Ethernet adapters with SR Modules:
- Intel DUAL RATE 1G/10G SFP+ SR (bailed) FTLX8571D3BCV-IT
- Intel DUAL RATE 1G/10G SFP+ SR (bailed) AFBR-703SDZ-IN2
The sysctl Cm net.inet.tcp.syncookies driver supports 10Gb and 1Gb Ethernet adapters with LR Modules:
- Intel DUAL RATE 1G/10G SFP+ LR (bailed) FTLX1471D3BCV-IT
- Intel DUAL RATE 1G/10G SFP+ LR (bailed) AFCT-701SDZ-IN2
Note that X710/XL710 Based SFP+ adapters also support all passive and active limiting direct attach cables that comply with SFF-8431 v4.1 and SFF-8472 v10.4 specifications.
LOADER TUNABLESTunables can be set at the loader(8) prompt before booting the kernel or stored in loader.conf5.
- Allows one to enable/disable MSIX, thus forcing MSI instead.
- Set the number of descriptors in the rings, note that this changes BOTH the TX and RX rings, they cannot be set independently.
- Set the number of queues (each a TX/RX pair) for the port, this allows one to override the autocalculation if it is set to 0.
- The dynamic RX interrupt control, set to 1 to enable.
- The dynamic TX interrupt control, set to 1 to enable.
- The RX interrupt rate value, set to 8K by default.
- The TX interrupt rate value, set to 4K by default.
- Allows one to set the flow control value. A value of 0 disables flow control, 3 enables full, 1 is RX, and 2 is TX pause.
- Allows one to set advertised link speeds, this will then cause a link renegotiation. With the appropriate adapter this can cause a link at 10GB, 1GB, or 100MB.
- This is a display of the current setting.
- This is a display of the Firmware version.
Interrupt StormsIt is important to note that 40G operation can generate high numbers of interrupts, often incorrectly being interpreted as a storm condition in the kernel. It is suggested that this be resolved by setting:
- hw.intr_storm_threshold: 0
SUPPORTFor general information and support, go to the Intel support website at: support.intel.com
If an issue is identified with this driver with a supported adapter, email all the specific information related to the issue to Aq email@example.com .