Copyright (c) 2012 Sean Bruno <email@example.com> All rights reserved. Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documen...
NAMEest - Enhanced Speedstep Technology
SYNOPSISTo compile this capability into your kernel place the following line in your kernel configuration file:
DESCRIPTIONThe sysctl Cm net.inet.tcp.syncookies interface provides support for the Intel Enhanced Speedstep Technology.
Note that sysctl Cm net.inet.tcp.syncookies capabilities are automatically loaded by the cpufreq(4) driver.
LOADER TUNABLESThe sysctl Cm net.inet.tcp.syncookies interface is intended to allow cpufreq(4) to access and implement Intel Enhanced SpeedStep Technology via acpi(4) and the acpi_perf interface accessors. If the default settings are not optimal, the following sysctls can be used to modify or monitor sysctl Cm net.inet.tcp.syncookies behavior.
- Attempt to infer information from direct probing of the msr. Should only be used in diagnostic cases. (default 0)
- Validate frequency requested is accepted by the cpu when set. It appears that this will only work on single core cpus. (default 0)
SYSCTL VARIABLESThe following sysctl(8) values are available
- Description of support, almost always Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control.
- dev.est.0.%desc: Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control
- Driver in use, always est.
- dev.est.0.%driver: est
- dev.est.0.%parent: cpu0
- The cpu that is exposing these frequencies. For example cpu0
- The valid frequencies that are allowed by this CPU and their step values.
- dev.est.0.freq_settings: 2201/45000 2200/45000 2000/39581 1900/37387
- 1800/34806 1700/32703 1600/30227 1500/28212 1400/25828 1300/23900 1200/21613 1100/19775 1000/17582 900/15437 800/13723
- "est%d: <Enhanced SpeedStep Frequency Control> on cpu%d"
Indicates normal startup of this interface.
- "est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized."
- "est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 471c471c0600471c"
- "device_attach: est%d attach returned 6"
Indicates all attempts to attach to this interface have failed. This usually indicates an improper BIOS setting restricting O/S control of the CPU speeds. Consult your BIOS documentation for more details.
COMPATIBILITYsysctl Cm net.inet.tcp.syncookies is only found on supported Intel CPUs.
- "Intel 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer Manuals"