Copyright (c) 2008 Lawrence Stewart <lstewart@FreeBSD.org> Copyright (c) 2010-2011 The FreeBSD Foundation All rights reserved. Portions of this documentation were written at the Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures, Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia by David Hayes under sponsorship from the FreeBSD Foundation. Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: 1. Redistri...
NAMEcc_htcp - H-TCP Congestion Control Algorithm
DESCRIPTIONThe H-TCP congestion control algorithm was designed to provide increased throughput in fast and long-distance networks. It attempts to maintain fairness when competing with legacy NewReno TCP in lower speed scenarios where NewReno is able to operate adequately.
The congestion window is increased as a function of the time elapsed since the last congestion event. The window increase algorithm operates like NewReno for the first second after a congestion event, and then switches to a high-speed mode based on a quadratic increase function.
The implementation was done in a clean-room fashion, and is based on the Internet Draft and other documents referenced in the Sx SEE ALSO section below.
MIB VariablesThe algorithm exposes the following tunable variables in the net.inet.tcp.cc.htcp branch of the sysctl(3) MIB:
- Controls use of the adaptive backoff algorithm, which is designed to keep network queues non-empty during congestion recovery episodes. Default is 0 (disabled).
- Controls use of the RTT scaling algorithm, which is designed to make congestion window increase during congestion avoidance mode invariant with respect to RTT. Default is 0 (disabled).
SEE ALSOcc_chd4, cc_cubic4, cc_hd4, cc_newreno4, cc_vegas4, mod_cc4, tcp(4), mod_cc9
- "D. Leith" "R. Shorten" "H-TCP: TCP Congestion Control for High Bandwidth-Delay Product Paths"
- "D. Leith" "R. Shorten" "T. Yee" "H-TCP: A framework for congestion control in high-speed and long-distance networks" "Proc. PFLDnet" "2005"
- "G. Armitage" "L. Stewart" "M. Welzl" "J. Healy" "An independent H-TCP implementation under FreeBSD 7.0: description and observed behaviour" "SIGCOMM Comput. Commun. Rev." "38" "3" "July 2008" "27-38"
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTSDevelopment and testing of this software were made possible in part by grants from the FreeBSD Foundation and Cisco University Research Program Fund at Community Foundation Silicon Valley.
HISTORYThe sysctl Cm net.inet.tcp.syncookies congestion control module first appeared in Fx 9.0 .
The module was first released in 2007 by James Healy and Lawrence Stewart whilst working on the NewTCP research project at Swinburne University of Technology's Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures, Melbourne, Australia, which was made possible in part by a grant from the Cisco University Research Program Fund at Community Foundation Silicon Valley. More details are available at:
AUTHORSAn -nosplit The sysctl Cm net.inet.tcp.syncookies congestion control module was written by An James Healy Aq Mt email@example.com and An Lawrence Stewart Aq Mt lstewart@FreeBSD.org .
This manual page was written by An Lawrence Stewart Aq Mt lstewart@FreeBSD.org and An David Hayes Aq Mt firstname.lastname@example.org .