Copyright (c) 2014 Midori Kato <email@example.com> Copyright (c) 2014 The FreeBSD Foundation All rights reserved. Portions of this documentation were written at Keio University, Japan. Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2. Redistributions in binary for...
NAMEcc_dctcp - DCTCP Congestion Control Algorithm
DESCRIPTIONThe DCTCP (data center TCP) congestion control algorithm aims to maximise throughput and minimise latency in data center networks by utilising the proportion of Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) marks received from capable hardware as a congestion signal.
DCTCP uses fraction of ECN marked packets to update congestion window. The window reduction ratio is always <= 1/2. Only when all of the packets are marked, congestion window is halved.
In order to keep the accuracy of the ECN marked fraction, a DCTCP receiver mirrors back incoming (or missing) CE marks by setting (or clearing) ECE marks. This feedback methodology is also adopted when the receiver uses delayed ACK.
The Fx DCTCP implementation includes two minor modifications for the one-sided deployment. Considering the situation that DCTCP is used as sender and classic ECN is used as receiver, DCTCP sets the CWR flag as the reaction to the ECE flag. In addition, when classic ECN is used as sender and DCTCP is used as receiver, DCTCP avoids to mirror back ACKs only when the CWR flag is set in the incoming packet.
The other specifications are based on the paper and Internet Draft referenced in the Sx SEE ALSO section below.
MIB VariablesThe algorithm exposes the following tunable variables in the net.inet.tcp.cc.dctcp branch of the sysctl(3) MIB:
- An initial estimator of the congestion on the link. Default is 0.
- An estimation gain in the alpha calculation. Default is 16.
- A trigger to halve congestion window after slow start. Default does nothing to halve window.
SEE ALSOcc_chd4, cc_cubic4, cc_hd4, cc_htcp4, cc_newreno4, cc_vegas4, mod_cc4, tcp(4), mod_cc9
- "Mohammad Alizadeh" "Albert Greenberg" "David A. Maltz" "Jitendra Padhye" "Parveen Patel" "Balaji Prabhakar" "Sudipta Sengupta" "Murari Sridharan" "Data Center TCP (DCTCP)" "ACM SIGCOMM 2010" "July 2010" "63-74"
- "Stephen Bensley" "Lars Eggert" "Dave Thaler" "Microsoft's Datacenter TCP (DCTCP): TCP Congestion Control for Datacenters"
HISTORYThe sysctl Cm net.inet.tcp.syncookies congestion control module first appeared in Fx 11.0 .
The module was first released in 2014 by Midori Kato studying at Keio University, Japan.