$FreeBSD: releng/11.0/lib/libc/sys/minherit.2 173184 2007-10-30 15:28:43Z keramida $ Copyright (c) 1991, 1993 The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved. Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. 2. Redistributions in binary form m...
NAMEminherit - control the inheritance of pages
SYNOPSISIn sys/mman.h Ft int Fn minherit void *addr size_t len int inherit
DESCRIPTIONThe Fn minherit system call changes the specified pages to have the inheritance characteristic Fa inherit . Not all implementations will guarantee that the inheritance characteristic can be set on a page basis; the granularity of changes may be as large as an entire region. Fx is capable of adjusting inheritance characteristics on a page basis. Inheritance only effects children created by Fn fork . It has no effect on Fn exec . exec'd processes replace their address space entirely. This system call also has no effect on the parent's address space (other than to potentially share the address space with its children).
Inheritance is a rather esoteric feature largely superseded by the MAP_SHARED feature of Fn mmap . However, it is possible to use Fn minherit to share a block of memory between parent and child that has been mapped MAP_PRIVATE That is, modifications made by parent or child are shared but the original underlying file is left untouched.
- This option causes the address space in question to be shared between parent and child. It has no effect on how the original underlying backing store was mapped.
- This option prevents the address space in question from being inherited at all. The address space will be unmapped in the child.
- This option causes the child to inherit the address space as copy-on-write. This option also has an unfortunate side effect of causing the parent address space to become copy-on-write when the parent forks. If the original mapping was MAP_SHARED it will no longer be shared in the parent after the parent forks and there is no way to get the previous shared-backing-store mapping without unmapping and remapping the address space in the parent.
RETURN VALUESRv -std minherit
ERRORSThe Fn minherit system call will fail if:
- Bq Er EINVAL
- The virtual address range specified by the Fa addr and Fa len arguments is not valid.
- Bq Er EACCES
- The flags specified by the Fa inherit argument were not valid for the pages specified by the Fa addr and Fa len arguments.