Copyright (C) 2010 Michael Krapp This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for mo...
NAMEutmpdump - dump UTMP and WTMP files in raw format
SYNOPSISutmpdump [options] [filename]
DESCRIPTIONutmpdump is a simple program to dump UTMP and WTMP files in raw format, so they can be examined. utmpdump reads from stdin unless a filename is passed.
- -f, --follow
- Output appended data as the file grows.
- -o, --output file
- Write command output to file instead of standard output.
- -r, --reverse
- Undump, write back edited login information into the utmp or wtmp files.
- -V, --version
- Display version information and exit.
- -h, --help
- Display help text and exit.
NOTESutmpdump can be useful in cases of corrupted utmp or wtmp entries. It can dump out utmp/wtmp to an ASCII file, which can then be edited to remove bogus entries, and reintegrated using:
- utmpdump -r < ascii_file > wtmp
But be warned, utmpdump was written for debugging purposes only.