NAMElook - find lines in a sorted list
SYNOPSISlook [ -dfnixtc ] [ string ] [ file ]
DESCRIPTIONLook consults a sorted file and prints all lines that begin with string. It uses binary search.
The following options are recognized. Options dfnt affect comparisons as in sort(1).
- Interactive. There is no string argument; instead look takes lines from the standard input as strings to be looked up.
- Exact. Print only lines of the file whose key matches string exactly.
- `Directory' order: only letters, digits, tabs and blanks participate in comparisons.
- Fold. Upper case letters compare equal to lower case.
- Numeric comparison with initial string of digits, optional minus sign, and optional decimal point.
- Character c terminates the sort key in the file. By default, tab terminates the key. If c is missing the entire line comprises the key.
If no file is specified, /lib/words is assumed, with collating sequence df.