- gcloud alpha compute instances detach-disk - detach disks from Compute Engine virtual machine instances
gcloud alpha compute instances detach-disk INSTANCE_NAME (--device-name=DEVICE_NAME | --disk=DISK) [--disk-scope=DISK_SCOPE; default="zonal"] [--zone=ZONE] [GCLOUD_WIDE_FLAG ...]
(ALPHA) gcloud alpha compute instances detach-disk is used to
Detaching a disk without first unmounting it may result in incomplete I/O operations and data corruption. To unmount a persistent disk on a Linux-based image, ssh into the instance and run:
- $ sudo umount /dev/disk/by-id/google-DEVICE_NAME
Name of the instance to operate on.
Exactly one of these must be specified:
Specifies a disk to detach by its device name, which is the name that the guest
operating system sees. The device name is set at the time that the disk is
attached to the instance, and needs not be the same as the persistent disk name.
If the disk's device name is specified, then its persistent disk name must not
be specified using the --disk flag.
Specifies a disk to detach by its resource name. If you specify a disk to remove
by persistent disk name, then you must not specify its device name using the
- Exactly one of these must be specified:
- --disk-scope=DISK_SCOPE; default="zonal"
The scope of the disk. DISK_SCOPE must be one of:
- The disk specified in --disk is interpreted as a regional disk in the same region as the instance. Ignored if a full URI is provided to the --disk flag.
- The disk specified in --disk is interpreted as a zonal disk in the same zone as the instance. Ignored if a full URI is provided to the --disk flag.
Zone of the instance to operate on. If not specified, you may be prompted to
select a zone. gcloud will attempt to identify the zone by searching for
resources in your project. If the zone cannot be determined, you will then be
prompted with all Google Cloud Platform zones.
To avoid prompting when this flag is omitted, you can set the compute/zone property:
- $ gcloud config set compute/zone ZONE
A list of zones can be fetched by running:
- $ gcloud compute zones list
To unset the property, run:
- $ gcloud config unset compute/zone
Alternatively, the zone can be stored in the environment variable CLOUDSDK_COMPUTE_ZONE.
GCLOUD WIDE FLAGS
These flags are available to all commands: --account, --configuration, --flags-file, --flatten, --format, --help, --log-http, --project, --quiet, --trace-token, --user-output-enabled, --verbosity. Run $ gcloud help for details.
This command is currently in ALPHA and may change without notice. If this command fails with API permission errors despite specifying the right project, you will have to apply for early access and have your projects registered on the API whitelist to use it. To do so, contact Support at cloud.google.com/support These variants are also available:
- $ gcloud compute instances detach-disk $ gcloud beta compute instances detach-disk