Automatically generated by Pod::Man 4.09 (Pod::Simple 3.35) Standard preamble: ========================================================================
NAMErename - renames multiple files
SYNOPSISrename [ -h|-m|-V ] [ -v ] [ -n ] [ -f ] [ -e|-E perlexpr]*|perlexpr [ files ]
DESCRIPTION"rename" renames the filenames supplied according to the rule specified as the first argument. The perlexpr argument is a Perl expression which is expected to modify the $_ string in Perl for at least some of the filenames specified. If a given filename is not modified by the expression, it will not be renamed. If no filenames are given on the command line, filenames will be read via standard input.
For example, to rename all files matching "*.bak" to strip the extension, you might say
rename 's/\e.bak$//' *.bak
To translate uppercase names to lower, you'd use
rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/' *
- -v, -verbose
- Verbose: print names of files successfully renamed.
- -n, -nono
- No action: print names of files to be renamed, but don't rename.
- -f, -force
- Over write: allow existing files to be over-written.
- -h, -help
Help: print SYNOPSISandOPTIONS.
- -m, -man
- Manual: print manual page.
- -V, -version
- Version: show version number.
Expression: code to act on files name.
May be repeated to build up code (like "perl -e"). If no -e, the first argument is used as code.
- Statement: code to act on files name, as -e but terminated by ';'.