NAMEdiff3 - compare three files line by line
SYNOPSISdiff3 [OPTION]... MYFILE OLDFILE YOURFILE
DESCRIPTIONCompare three files line by line.
Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
- -A, --show-all
- output all changes, bracketing conflicts
- -e, --ed
- output ed script incorporating changes from OLDFILE to YOURFILE into MYFILE
- -E, --show-overlap
- like -e, but bracket conflicts
- -3, --easy-only
- like -e, but incorporate only nonoverlapping changes
- -x, --overlap-only
- like -e, but incorporate only overlapping changes
- like -x, but bracket conflicts
- append `w' and `q' commands to ed scripts
- -m, --merge
- output actual merged file, according to -A if no other options are given
- -a, --text
- treat all files as text
- strip trailing carriage return on input
- -T, --initial-tab
- make tabs line up by prepending a tab
- use PROGRAM to compare files
- -L, --label=LABEL
- use LABEL instead of file name (can be repeated up to three times)
- display this help and exit
- -v, --version
- output version information and exit
The default output format is a somewhat human-readable representation of the changes.
The -e, -E, -x, -X (and corresponding long) options cause an ed script to be output instead of the default.
Finally, the -m (--merge) option causes diff3 to do the merge internally and output the actual merged file. For unusual input, this is more robust than using ed.
If a FILE is `-', read standard input. Exit status is 0 if successful, 1 if conflicts, 2 if trouble.
AUTHORWritten by Randy Smith.
REPORTING BUGSReport bugs to: firstname.lastname@example.org
GNU diffutils home page: <www.gnu.org/software/diffutils>
General help using GNU software: <www.gnu.org/gethelp>
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
SEE ALSOcmp(1), diff(1), sdiff(1)
The full documentation for diff3 is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and diff3 programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info diff3
should give you access to the complete manual.